Porec – Pearl Of the Istria
Poreč is town municipality on the western coast of the Istrian peninsula, in Istria County, Croatia. The Poreč counting population of approximately 12,000 people mostly on the outskirts, while the wider area have a population of around 17,000 inhabitants. Main Porec tourism attraction is the 6th century Euphrasian Basilica, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1997.
Poreč is almost 2,000 years old, created around small harbor protected from the sea by the small island of Svetog Nikole (Saint Nicholas/San Nicolo). Poreč plan still shows the ancient Roman structure. Two main streets are Decumanus and Cardo Maximus, still stored in their original forms. Marafor is a Roman square with two temples attached. One of temples, built in the first century AD, is devoted to the Roman god Neptune.
From the 1970s, the coastlines of Poreč has been one of the most visited tourist destination in Croatia. But tourism in Porec has a much longer tradition, since 1844when the Austrian Lloyd steamship company opened a tourist line which called at “Parenzo”, oldest hotel is the Riviera built in 1910 after them it came Perentino and others until today when tourist infrastructure is intentionally dispersed along the 37 km long shore, between the River Mirna and the deep Lim valley.
The south hosts self-contained centres like Plava Laguna Resort, Zelena Laguna Resort, Bijela Uvala and Brulo. While on the north, mirroring centres are Materada, Červar Porat, Ulika and Lanterna. In the high season, the area’s temporary population can exceed over 120,000 which is 10 times more than local residents.
Even today Poreč’s legacy can be seen in the historic town centre, in museums and galleries hosted in houses and palaces, many of them still private homes as they have been for centuries. In the off season, weekend visitors from Croatia, Slovenia, Austria and Italy visiting the area. Sports complexes are developed and used year-round.